Thursday, October 6, 2011

Gang Gang Dance & Prince Rama at Crescent Ballroom - 10/5/2011

Gang Gang Dance and Prince Rama arrived at the Crescent Ballroom last night to play Phoenix for the first time and I had the privilege of hanging with both bands before and after their performances. Prince Rama consisting of original members Taraka, Nimai and Michael enlisted the help of Tim Koh who most know from his days with Ariel Pink & Haunted Graffiti are a perfect compliment to the GGD crew consisting of Jessie Lee, Brian, Josh, Lizzie and Taka. There is no question they are all incredibly talented musicians but what I will take away from the night is just how incredible they all are as people. You never know what is behind the instruments when you listen to their music but I can honestly say these are two of the kindest bands you will ever come across. Jessie, the drummer for GGD who lives in New York with the rest of the band and I actually had enough time to figure out our grandparents are from the same town and probably knew each other 50 plus years ago, amazing how small this world really is! Lizzie, the only girl in GGD and the lead vocalist was under the weather and showed up just minutes before the bands set started didn't disappoint anyone in attendance. Their set lasted just over an hour and from all the smiles I saw on the faces leaving I would say everyone got their money's worth. After the show I watched as the bands spent an hour or so meeting with fans, taking pictures and signing albums and posters. After having a couple cold ones it was time for handshakes, hugs and well wishes to all of them. As the bus pulled away and I closed the back entrance to the Crescent I had a moment to realize that nights like this don't come along very often and it was all made possible by a group a people I won't soon forget. ~ J.D. ~

1 comment: